Sunday, October 25, 2015

NaNoWriMo 2016



As I'm sure many bloggers know, NaNoWriMo is National Novel Writing Month. It's when the entire month of November is dedicated to finally writing that book that you've been dreaming about, but keep thinking will never happen. The end goal being a 50,000 word rough draft.
 
Last year, I decided that I'd give this thing a try. I didn't think much would come from it. I had always wanted to write a book since I was little, but didn't think it'd ever happen. Plus, I was (and still am) a college student who spends most of her time either in class, studying, or working. Hey, college ain't cheap. But I thought that signing up may finally kick my butt in gear. I was also following Susan Dennard's newsletter (follow here), and she was talking about NaNo. She also had all of these worksheets and printables for your progress, which was super encouraging. I'd also seen other authors talk about how they'd written their amazing books during these month-long writing sprints. With those printables (I'm not sure if she'll have them again this year), those authors' successes, and Susan Dennard's website dedicated to helping budding authors (here), I set out on my journey.
 
I didn't expect much, but to my surprise I got around 33K done during that time and part of December. Sure, it's pretty crappy right now and I would NEVER dream of anyone looking at it right now, but I got started. I actually set out to do something I had dreaming about for most of my life. After that, I continued to write a little bit more, but then life got crazy, so that Word Doc has been collected dust for a couple months.
 
I've decided that I'm going to do it again this year and try to not aim too high, since I know I'll be pretty easy. All I really have to do is decide if I want to go back to my current WIP or maybe start a new one. My other ideas are really just ideas, only one or two have a little bit of an outline, so if I chose one of them, the month would likely be dedicated to outlining.
 
So if you're going to be participating, let me know! We can go on this journey together! Here is my profile! Sadly, you cannot change your name. I wish I could, but I'd have to delete my account and create a new one... after 30 days. You need to fix this NaNo. It can't be that hard. But anyways, if you're joining and you want someone to talk to while doing it, just let me know!
 
Good luck and happy writing!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment