Tuesday, July 16, 2013

"Midnight Pearls: A Retelling of "The Little Mermaid" (Once Upon a Time)" by Debbie Viguie

Midnight Pearls: A Retelling of "The Little Mermaid"  (Once Upon a Time)5 out of 5 stars

Read May 7 to 8, 2013

Pages: 197
Published: June 1, 2003
Publisher: Simon Pulse

The Little Mermaid is one of my favorite Disney movies and I sing along everytime I watch it. I've also read the original story by Hans Christian Anderson, which made me really sad. I think it made one of my friends cry...



But I died a little on the inside after reading it.

This book was so cute and absolutely adorable! Even though it was a sugary cutesy book, it did have a lot more to it. Pearl has never felt like she fit in and has no clue where she came from. And her BFF was Prince James. I was expecting them to end up together but they didn't and that was a real shocker to me. Pearl ends up with a mermaid who she was friends with before she started her new life on land and Prince James ends up with the mermaid who saved him.

I feel like Pearl, who's name is actually Adrianna, wasn't the Little Mermaid. She might have been the main character, but I think that Faye, the other mermaid, was the Little Mermaid. She falls in love with a prince and loses her voice so she can find him and marry him.

Pearl
She never felt like she fit in, and she learns that she is actually a mermaid princess. I thought that she would end up with Prince James, but she didn't. I felt so bad for her because she just wanted to find out who she was and fit in.

Prince James
Pearl's best friend and sort of love interest. He considers marrying Pearl, but then he meets Faye. It got kind of annoying because he became obsessed with Faye.

Faye
She was the Little Mermaid. She saves Prince James from drowning and kisses him. She falls in love with him and goes to the Sea Witch to get legs. I think you can guess what happens next.

Kale
Faye's brother who tries to keep her away from Prince James. He was Pearl's friend when they were younger and he is her betrothed. He and Pearl end up together.

Overall, this book was really cute. It was a REALLY quick read that was full of fluff. It's nice to take a break from books that are 500 pages long and have crazy stuff happening. I can't wait to read the other books in this collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment