Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Top Ten Tuesday #66: Ten Books That Should Be Read In Creative Writing Classes

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish
 
This Week's Topic:
Ten Books That Should Be Read In Creative Writing Classes
 
When I took a Creative Writing class in high school, we would spend one day each week just reading, so here are a few books that I think students should read!
 
1.
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1)
 
2.
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe (Chronicles of Narnia, #1)
 
3.
Wither (The Chemical Garden, #1)
 
4.
Something Strange and Deadly (Something Strange and Deadly, #1)
 
5.
Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1)
 
6.
The Bad Beginning (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #1)
 
7.
Shatter Me (Shatter Me, #1)
 
8.
A Court of Thorns and Roses (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #1)
 
9.
Shadow and Bone (The Grisha, #1)
 
10.
Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #1)
 
If I were to teach Creative Writing, I'd want my students to read a wide variety of works. From Middle Grade to New Adult, and Fantasy to Historical Fiction, I'd want them to experience different genres to find out which one they like the most. DoSaB was actually recommended to me by my CW teacher, and I recommended The Chemical Garden Trilogy to her after she saw the chapter page design.
 
What would you have your Creative Writing students read?

No comments:

Post a Comment