Tuesday, February 10, 2015

"Unspoken (The Lynburn Legacy, #1)" by Sarah Rees Brennan

Unspoken (The Lynburn Legacy, #1)"Unspoken (The Lynburn Legacy, #1)" by Sarah Rees Brennan

Website ~ LiveJournal ~ Twitter

Published: September 11, 2012
Publisher: Random House Books for Young Readers
Genres: Young Adult, Paranormal, Mystery
Pages: 384

Format: ebook
Source: Overdrive

Read September 21 to 25, 2013

GoodReads ~ Amazon ~ Barnes & Noble



Kami Glass loves someone she’s never met . . . a boy she’s talked to in her head ever since she was born. She wasn’t silent about her imaginary friend during her childhood, and is thus a bit of an outsider in her sleepy English town of Sorry-in-the-Vale. Still, Kami hasn’t suffered too much from not fitting in. She has a best friend, runs the school newspaper, and is only occasionally caught talking to herself. Her life is in order, just the way she likes it, despite the voice in her head.
But all that changes when the Lynburns return.
The Lynburn family has owned the spectacular and sinister manor that overlooks Sorry-in-the-Vale for centuries. The mysterious twin sisters who abandoned their ancestral home a generation ago are back, along with their teenage sons, Jared and Ash, one of whom is eerily familiar to Kami. Kami is not one to shy away from the unknown—in fact, she’s determined to find answers for all the questions Sorry-in-the-Vale is suddenly posing. Who is responsible for the bloody deeds in the depths of the woods? What is her own mother hiding? And now that her imaginary friend has become a real boy, does she still love him? Does she hate him? Can she trust him?





Yet another case of me not loving a book that tons of other people are gushing over.



I just wanna know if there is something that I am missing when I read these books. I wanted to love this book, the premise sounded super cool, but I... I just didn't like it, no matter how hard I tried. I just want to fit in with everyone else...



I guess it may be time to end my pity party now.

To be honest, I really didn't understand this book all that well. I don't know if I was missing something or if the dots just didn't connect, but I felt confused most of the time. And confused isn't something you want to feel when reading a book, unless it is intentionally doing it. But in this case, it wasn't a feeling that I was SUPPOSED to feel.

And then I couldn't stand Jared. He just seemed so unlikeable. I guess we're supposed to pity, but I just can't pity someone when they're acting like an asshole. And Kami just seemed like the person that is amazing at everything or something. I just couldn't connect with her all that well, which made the book harder to read for me. It was confusing to begin with, but it doesn't help that I couldn't connect with the characters.

Kami
I found her annoying. She seemed too... good, I guess.

Jared
He was a jerk. No likey.

Ash
I think he was OK? I don't remember.

Overall, I didn't enjoy this book all that much. I think it's because I just really didn't understand what was going on. I'm going to try the other books, hopefully they'll make things easier to understand.

2 comments:

  1. It's so frustrating when you don't like a book that so many people have loved. This happened to me with We Were Liars. I just felt like something was wrong with me and I didn't really get the book.
    I still think I want to read this book. I actually haven't heard anything about it :)

    Cucie @ Cucie reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that you like it! I haven't heard too much about We Were Liars. I'm sure I'll read it eventually.

      Delete